Reserach Blog #7

Frame

One theoretical concept that has helped me in my research about commuting students and their ability to integrate themselves in the "college experience" was the research of Rebekah Nathan in her book, "Student Culture and Liminality". Nathan uses the term, "liminality" to discuss the transitional qualities that college provides. According to Nathan, college is an institute that creates an environment that will foster growth and positive change in young adults. That will be close to what I plan on discussing in my paper. By discussing the importance of how student integration and engagement, are vital to academic success and personal development in college I can highlight why commuter students tend to do less well than their residential counterparts in college.

I will also like to include Barbara Jacoby's book, "Why Involve Commuter Students in Learning?” who uses the term "transitional events" to describe college. A transition is an event that will change a person's relationships, routines, and perspective of the world. Jacoby goes deeper into this argument detailing how the everyday tasks and responsibilities that commuter students face disrupt their ability to view college as a "transformative event". The combination of Nathan and Jacoby's theoretical concepts will create a frame that I can base my research around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research Blog #1

Literature Review #3

Literature Review #1